GARNER, N.C. (WNCN) – A Raleigh man who was hit and killed on I-40 Wednesday night was on top of a car traveling down the interstate before he fell off, the Highway Patrol said.
Derron Torri Stephens, 49, was riding on top of a Chevy Impala that was traveling in the westbound lanes of Interstate 40 close to U.S. Route 70 west in southern Wake County near Johnston County.
Highway Patrol said Stephens fell off that Impala and was hit and killed.
No charges have been filed as the Highway Patrol has been unable to locate the Impala.
The incident closed down I-40 for a short time late Wednesday but lanes began to open before midnight.
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact Highway Patrol.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NC Chief Justice Cheri Beasley remembers ‘wonderful trailblazer’ Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Alcohol a factor in Durham crash that killed motorcyclist, critically injured his wife, police say
- Trump to Senate: Vote ‘without delay’ on his high court pick
- Raleigh police investigating after man shot in east Raleigh Saturday morning
- SC teacher fired after ‘inexcusable’ Facebook post
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now