Raleigh police release body cam videos after claims that officers pointed rifles at child

Wake County News
Raleigh police bodycam Friar Tuck Road 1

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — The Raleigh Police Department released several videos from body-worn cameras Friday, saying officers acted appropriately when they carried out a search, despite complaints from a mother that the officers pointed rifles at her six-year-old son.

LaDonna Clark recently addressed the city council about the search that happened at a home on Friar Tuck Road in November.

Police obtained a search warrant as they tried to find Brian Clark, a suspect in an armed robbery, who they believed to have been in the home.

LaDonna Clark said the family had told police Brian Clark did not live there.

He was not at the home during the search. He was later arrested on additional charges, including kidnapping, and is in the Johnston County jail.

Clark went to city council last week, saying she’d grown frustrated with the police department’s response to her concerns about how they conducted the search.

“On a 35-degree and rainy night, my son with autism was forced out of the home with military-style rifles aimed at him and made to sit on the cold, wet ground for over an hour for over an hour by RPD SWAT,” she told city council last week.

RPD released eight videos Friday as well as a 40-minute edited version of those videos, which they say demonstrate that officers followed protocol.

“In an effort to minimize risk to both officers and any occupants of the residence, the decision was made to park an armored vehicle in front of the home, call the residents and ask them to come outside rather than attempting to make an entry of the home knowing that occupants were inside,” the department wrote in a memo accompanying the videos. “While members of SEU did have rifles, they kept them pointed at the ground or away from people at all times while the Clarks were exiting and outside the home.  Additionally, the footage from the body worn cameras shows that Mr. Michael Clark was outside for approximately 19 minutes and Mrs. Wanda Clark and their grandson were outside for approximately 13 minutes.”

Raleigh Mayor Pro-tem Corey Branch asked city staff members to provide a briefing to city council on the incident.

Following the release of the videos, LaDonna Clark spoke at a press conference Friday afternoon.

She asked, “Where is the footage of my son and my mother coming out? You took the opportunity to get the footage together of them roaming through the house. However, the most important and salient issue here is: where is the footage of my mother and my son?”

CBS 17 contacted Raleigh police about that question. In an email, a spokesperson said all the video the department has of the search has been released.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss