RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A Raleigh school will be closed until further notice after a parent of a student tested positive for COVID-19 (coronavirus).
Trinity Academy in Raleigh has closed and canceled all activities for Tuesday.
According to a note sent to parents and staff, the infected parent has followed CDC guidelines and is quarantined at home. The students are also quarantined out of caution.
“Parents should be concerned but not panic. We have to keep this in perspective one of the reasons we know so much about it is because technology allows us to reach across the world,” said Albert Cagodan.
In a statement, the head of school said they’ve been in contact with the Wake County Health Department. They were advised under this situation the risk for students is low and they were not required to close schools.
But administrators decided to do so anyway in an effort to determine how to handle the situation moving forward.
“It’s sort of seems like colleges are closing some schools around the country are closing because a parent or a student has the coronavirus so they are worried about the spread of it. Germs do spray easily in schools and daycare,” said Frankie Petty.
Read Trinity Academy’s full statement below:
Dear Trinity Families,
Earlier this evening it came to our attention that a Trinity parent has tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19). The individual has followed the CDC’s guidelines and is quarantined at home. The students are also quarantined out of an abundance of caution.
The health and safety of our families is a top priority. The Center for Disease Control has recommended that schools consult with their local Health Department in moments like this. To that end, I have been in touch with the head epidemiologist from the Health Department this evening – as well as other public health professionals – and received counsel. At this point, while the Wake County Health Department did not advise that we close school, and they have emphasized that the risk to our students remains minimal, I have decided, out of an abundance of caution, to close school for Tuesday, March 10th. The purpose of this closure is to allow time for our staff to gather information, consult with healthcare professionals, and implement plans that will work well for our community.
All school activities are cancelled for the day.
Tomorrow afternoon (3/10), you will receive an update that outlines our plan for the remainder of the week.
We are closely monitoring the situation and will provide you with updates as soon as they are available.
Please know and understand, the lateness of the hour of this message is unavoidable. Thank you for your cooperation in this situation as we all work together to demonstrate wisdom, grace, and care. Please keep the affected family, and all families affected by this virus, in your prayers.Timothy Bridges, Head of School
- Lil Wayne gets backlash after showing support for Trump
- Vice President Pence making 2 campaign stops in NC Saturday
- Person at West Millbrook Middle School tests positive for COVID-19
- Fauci: Life as we knew it won’t return until ‘many, many months’ into 2021
- Dabo Swinney confirms QB Trevor Lawrence to miss BC game due to COVID-19
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now