MORRISVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — The first international flight to depart the Raleigh-Durham International Airport took off Thursday morning to the popular destination of Cancun.
The JetBlue flight to Cancun was the airline’s first to depart from RDU and took off around 8 a.m. with 38 passengers on board. It was the airport’s first international flight since March 31, around the onset of the COVID-19 health crisis.
An RDU spokesperson says passenger traffic at the airport is about 30 percent of 2019 levels after dropping to just three percent in April.
“Today’s flight is a significant step toward recovery for the airport and regional economy,” a spokesperson told CBS 17.
JetBlue is also starting service to Montego Bay, Jamaica, with the first flight scheduled to depart this Saturday.
- U.S. reaches 100,000 coronavirus hospitalizations
- Wendell shop owner cited over sign saying store doesn’t require masks
- Wednesday, December 2nd: Live music by Jay James, Jolly Raleigh scavenger hunt clue #2
- Black and Blue Kickoff Live: After devastating Panthers loss, conversation still swirls on who is to blame
- City finds 40 Housing Code violations at Durham apartments