RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A major section of Capital Boulevard was shut down Wednesday morning following a fatal crash on the side of the road, Raleigh police said.
Southbound Capital Boulevard, along with the Wade Avenue ramp onto Capital, was closed starting before 3 a.m. due to the crash.
According to police, one person is dead and another injured after the driver went the wrong way on the Wade Avenue ramp when their car went off the road and crashed into a ravine.
Police said Jordan Jamal Aytch was driving on the Wade Avenue ramp going the wrong direction and tried to correct it when they crashed down an embankment off southbound Capital Boulevard.
Darius Jerrod Allen, who was a passenger in Aytch’s vehicle, was killed in the incident.
Aytch, 27, of Raleigh is charged with felony death by vehicle, reckless driving, and driving while impaired in connection with the crash.
He’s being held under a $211,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court Thursday.
The vehicle was removed from the ravine and taken from the scene just before 8 a.m. The road was closed for five hours.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Proposal would transform area of Wake Forest Road/I-440 into a ‘Walkable Midtown’
- Black voters’ mail-in ballots in NC rejected twice as often as whites. Why?
- After 4 months in the hospital, suspect charged with murdering in woman in Garner
- Wendell business owner regrets hosting event after sheriff shuts down sports arena
- 4th grader suspended for moving BB gun during virtual class
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now