RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A major section of Capital Boulevard was shut down Wednesday morning following a fatal crash on the side of the road, Raleigh police said.
Southbound Capital Boulevard, along with the Wade Avenue ramp onto Capital, was closed starting before 3 a.m. due to the crash.
According to police, one person is dead and another injured after the driver went the wrong way on the Wade Avenue ramp when their car went off the road and crashed into a ravine.
Police said Jordan Jamal Aytch was driving on the Wade Avenue ramp going the wrong direction and tried to correct it when they crashed down an embankment off southbound Capital Boulevard.
Darius Jerrod Allen, who was a passenger in Aytch’s vehicle, was killed in the incident.
Aytch, 27, of Raleigh is charged with felony death by vehicle, reckless driving, and driving while impaired in connection with the crash.
He’s being held under a $211,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court Thursday.
The vehicle was removed from the ravine and taken from the scene just before 8 a.m. The road was closed for five hours.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- At least 2 people injured after Raleigh police car involved in crash, officials say
- UNC fans rush Franklin Street, blocking traffic after 2nd win over Duke
- UNC breezes to 2nd win over Duke, 91-73
- Pedestrian hit by vehicle along I-95 in Cumberland County
- 2 injured in vehicle crash that closes part of Cole Mill Road in Durham