BARTONS CREEK, N.C. (WNCN) – The body of a 15-year-old girl who went missing in the waters of Falls Lake Tuesday evening has been located.
Multiple agencies who were looking for the teen Tuesday were back out Wednesday near Falls Lake in northern Wake County, officials said.
According to Eric Curry of the Wake County Sheriff’s Office, a family gathering was happening at Falls Lake when a 10-year-old boy got into the water and ended up calling for help.
Curry said the boy’s father then jumped in to help his son before needing help himself.
That’s when the 15-year-old girl jumped in and tried to help both the 10-year-old and boy’s father.
Once the boy and his dad were brought to safety, Curry said the adult turned away from the 15-year-old and later realized she was gone.
A Wake County boat team located the body in a cove near where she went missing.
Curry said teams are now in a recovery mode.
An official with the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission said that there have been no drownings in the past in this area and that although people were in the water, this part of the lake is not a designated swimming area.
Sonar searches were being conducted by the Wake County Sheriff’s Office, Durham County Sheriff’s Office, Youngsville Fire Department and North Carolina K-9.
- Sheriff’s office photo of ‘Santa’ getting concealed handgun permit prompts outrage
- 6 South Carolina detention center inmates awarded GED certificates
- Panthers fire OC Joe Brady
- ‘A collaborative effort’: community members gather to feed 750 military families in Virginia
- Greenville tradition returns with annual Christmas parade