GARNER, N.C. (WNCN) — A section of U.S. Route 70 in Garner is reopening following a hazmat incident Monday morning, according to a Garner Fire Department official.
Garner and Raleigh fire and hazmat crews were out on U.S. 70 eastbound at White Oak Road where a 5-gallon container that was smoking and full of “an unknown substance” was found in the road, Garner Fire Department Chief Matthew Poole said.
Garner fire officials said it turned out that the container had acid inside and it likely fell off a vehicle driving down the road.
It’s unclear what kind of acid was inside but hazmat crews were able to safely neutralize it.
The road was shut down in both directions for a couple of hours, although Poole said the location of the container was not impeding traffic.
There were no evacuations in the area, according to Poole.