RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – St. Augustine’s University admits it had a mold problem in a freshman dorm.
CBS 17 has been pushing for answers from the school for a month and now administrators said they have hired an outside company to address it.
Students and parents reached out to CBS 17 about the Latham dorm, concerned the mold would impact their health.
“I was one of the first people who got sick off of the mold. I am very allergic to the mold,” freshman Traevon Brown said.
Brown said he went to WakeMed.
He showed CBS 17 documents that say he’d been treated for a viral upper-respiratory infection that could have been the result of mold.
“It was a very bad problem,” Brown said.
Following CBS 17’s reports, St. Augustine’s said it hired Raleigh Mold Inspection and Remediation to fix the problem.
In a statement, St. Augustine’s said the mold was the result of Hurricane Florence.
The stairwells were exposed to the elements.
It went on to write that the plan was to paint them over Christmas break, but the work was pushed back.
Officials said, “our contractors have addressed this matter and continue to work with us on renovating additional student living and learning spaces.”
Meantime, students said this same dorm has been without heat and had only sporadic hot water for the last week.
“This is not what I expected. Things are just being taken care of very slowly,” Brown said.
St. Augustine’s said the problem is a 40-year-old boiler. It hired a company to repair it. Repairs are expected to take four to eight days.
Students have been offered a spot in a nearby hotel or space in another dorm while repairs are underway.
Click here to read the full release from St. Augustine’s regarding the mold remediation.