RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Students at a North Carolina State University residence hall are finding a new place to live until after Thanksgiving following a Monday afternoon water leak, officials said.
The incident was reported after 4 p.m. at Metcalf Residence Hall at 2811 Thurman Drive, about in the center of the N.C. State campus.
A fire-extinguishing sprinkler head was damaged and leaking water throughout the dorm, which accommodates 407 students.
Officials said a student was injured when that person accidentally activated the sprinkler head.
Students were evacuated outside during the flooding caused by the leak. Metcalf Hall will be closed through Thanksgiving.
The water leak also caused a power outage Carroll, Bowen and Metcalf halls.
Lauren Baker with N.C. State later said 409 students at Metcalf were impacted, all have been contacted and can be relocated to another dorm, but most are opting to go home. About 30 have chosen to be moved into another residence hall.
N.C. State officials later released a statement about the incident:
A sprinkler was accidentally activated in Metcalf Hall that resulted in water intrusion and a temporary power outage to Bowen, Carroll and Metcalf. Facilities and Fire Safety are currently on site and are working to isolate power and assess damage.
Crews are working to assess damage but we do know that Metcalf will be closed through Thanksgiving.