RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A suspect claiming to have a bomb robbed a SunTrust bank on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard Monday afternoon in Raleigh, police said.
The shopping center between Martin Luther King Jr. and Raleigh boulevards is blocked off as Raleigh police conduct their investigation. Many businesses in the area have been evacuated, police said.
The robbery happened around 3 p.m. Monday. Raleigh police said the suspect entered the bank and gave the teller a note demanding money.
“He then placed a white grocery bag on the desk, indicating that it contained an explosive device,” a news release said.
Police have not said how much money the suspect took.
Nobody got hurt during the robbery or after as police handled the grocery bag the suspect left at the bank, police said.
The nearby Roses store closed for the day after police told shoppers and employees they needed to leave.
The suspect fled after getting the money. Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 919-834-HELP.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NC prison to serve as vaccine hub for inmates; officials working on vaccination plan
- Pawleys Island grandmother seeks justice after man’s murder
- Downtown Raleigh businesses brace for possible protests after pandemic and summer protests
- Sampson County church to host concert as NC continues to grapple with COVID-19 pandemic
- DC police seek man suspected of crushing officer in doorway