RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A suspect claiming to have a bomb robbed a SunTrust bank on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard Monday afternoon in Raleigh, police said.
The shopping center between Martin Luther King Jr. and Raleigh boulevards is blocked off as Raleigh police conduct their investigation. Many businesses in the area have been evacuated, police said.
The robbery happened around 3 p.m. Monday. Raleigh police said the suspect entered the bank and gave the teller a note demanding money.
“He then placed a white grocery bag on the desk, indicating that it contained an explosive device,” a news release said.
Police have not said how much money the suspect took.
Nobody got hurt during the robbery or after as police handled the grocery bag the suspect left at the bank, police said.
The nearby Roses store closed for the day after police told shoppers and employees they needed to leave.
The suspect fled after getting the money. Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 919-834-HELP.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Dive crews checking Falls Lake after possible drowning reported
- Second stimulus check: Lawmakers hope to provide relief to lower-income Americans
- Are face mask exemption cards legit? Coronavirus fact vs. fiction
- Man charged in triple homicide after bodies found at 3 locations across Wake County
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg hospitalized for possible infection
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now