GARNER, N.C. (WNCN) – The Wake County Sheriff’s Office said a suspect is on the run after trying to steal more than two dozen weapons from a gun store early Monday.
Wake County deputies were alerted to a potential break-in at Smokin’ Barrell Guns and Ammo, located at 4811 Fayetteville Rd. just after 2 a.m.
Sheriff’s Office spokesman Eric Curry said the first deputy who arrived on scene saw a person leaving the store from the front door.
“As the deputy moved to attempt to apprehend the suspect, the suspect retreated inside the business, escaping through a side window, before fleeing from the scene,” Curry said in a release.
Curry said the suspect tried to take “approximately” 25 weapons from inside the store. Those weapons were found inside the business.
Further information was not released.
The investigation is ongoing.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- VIDEO: Lexington Police Chief Mark Sink’s emotional sign-off as he heads into retirement
- Clinic at UNC’s Friday Center closes due to vaccine supply shortage
- Local group honors Ahmaud Arbery one year after his death
- Emily K Center helps students get to college despite barriers
- Thomasville man accused of soliciting 15-year-old girl for sex acts over Facebook