RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Wade Avenue has reopened after a gas leak Thursday afternoon. The leak happened near the intersection of St. Mary’s Street and resulted in a closure from the 900 block of Wade Avenue down to Glenwood Avenue.
A 4-inch gas main was struck. A temporary fix was made with a clamp, officials said. Two or three people were evacuated and others were asked to shelter in place.
St. Mary’s Street and some others will remain closed. Raleigh police and Dominion Energy have remained on scene, officials said.
Raleigh police have been asked to assist with evacuating residents and businesses around the area.
This is the fifth reported gas leak in Wake County in the past week after four others were reported in Cary.
HAZMAT units have been dispatched to help clean up the leak.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Karen Forms Near the Caribbean, Still Watching Jerry and Soon-to-Be Lorenzo
- GM adds 2 model years to recall involving welds in small SUVs
- NC fugitive who tricked 4 bondsmen is caught after 8-hour standoff
- Residents excited as 1st grocery store opens in downtown Raleigh
- Thomas’ TD return helps NC State beat Ball State 34-23
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now