WENDELL, N.C. (WNCN) — Fire crews extinguished a large blaze at an abandoned school in Wendell Friday evening.
The fire was reported around 5:20 p.m. at Riley Hill Baptist Church Family Life Center, in the 5900 block of Riley Hill Road, which is about two miles northwest of Zebulon.
Crews from Wake and Johnston counties worked for at least an hour to extinguish the fire. Large plumes of smoke were visible coming from the area of the fire.
In photos from the scene, the building appeared to sustain major damage.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Hackers targeting hospitals amid COVID-19 case surge, FBI warns
- Falcons prevail in back-and-forth divisional battle versus Panthers
- Man seriously injured after being shot during carjacking in Fayetteville, police say
- NC doesn’t require districts to notify parents, staff when COVID-19 cases pop up
- Man mauled after paying for ‘full-contact’ leopard experience in Florida