RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Interstate 40 east near Lake Wheeler Road was closed Tuesday morning following a chain-reaction crash that occurred during Monday night’s heavy rains.
A tractor-trailer driving on I-40 east hydroplaned and flipped on its side Monday night. According to Raleigh police, while a wrecker operator was trying to get the tractor-trailer upright, the wrecker was hit by a Fed-Ex truck that then jack-knifed and hit a Wake County EMS vehicle.
Police responded to the scene at approximately 1:12 a.m. Tuesday.
No one was injured in any of the crashes, police said.
Police were rerouting traffic on I-40 east near Lake Wheeler Road to Gorman Street and then back onto Lake Wheeler Road.
The impacted section of I-40 remained closed until about 6:45 a.m.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- UNC students face long lines for required COVID-19 tests; 1 party reported to police
- Crash closes part of Western Blvd. in Raleigh near NC State campus
- Driver crashes into police car during domestic call in Raleigh, officials say
- Smooth sailing for COVID-19 vaccine recipients at UNC Chapel Hill clinic
- Signs of improvement appear in NC’s still-high COVID-19 numbers