ZEBULON, N.C. (WNCN) — A 21-year-old woman died after slamming her vehicle into a concrete bridge support Sunday night in Zebulon, according to police.
Officers responded to the scene at 9:59 p.m.
Zebulon police said Shannon Faye Parker, of Zebulon, was driving west on U.S. Highway 64 when she lost control of her 2003 Ford Explorer and crashed into a concrete bridge support on the highway.
Parker was extricated from her SUV by the Zebulon Fire Department, but lifesaving efforts were not successful, police said.
According to authorities, Parker was in the SUV by herself and no other vehicles were involved in the crash.
She was pronounced dead at the scene by Wake County EMS.
Police said that “early analysis of the crash indicate that speed was a contributing factor.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Top ways to boost your health with fermented foods
- NC teen dies after becoming impaled on rifle in hunting stand accident
- Nearly 10 percent of NC hospitals anticipate ‘critical’ staffing shortage within a week
- 13,000 with late Raleigh water bills could see service cut off in weeks after order expires
- 2 new clinical trials underway in Wilmington for COVID-19 vaccines