GOLDSBORO, N.C. (WNCN) – Bridge construction in Wayne County will cause traffic delays for the next four months.
On Monday, the North Carolina Department of Transportation said Mark Edwards Road bridge over Bear Creek was closed. Crews are replacing the 70-year-old bridge with a three-lane structure.
The old bridge has become “functionally obsolete for today’s traffic,” officials said.
The New Hope Fire Department expressed concerns about the closure impacting its service area. The NCDOT was able to accelerate the project by two months.
The new bridge will elevate the road between the bridge and its intersection with Parkstown Road, which is about 300 feet away.
Drivers will take a signed detour around the closure.
The new bridge should open to traffic this summer.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Triangle-area police chiefs, chief justice appear on ‘Law & Order’ panel in Durham
- Man hits other man’s backside, walks out on tab next night, Myrtle Beach police say
- Wendell mom dies in Wake County crash on Ten Ten Road, officials say
- Family of woman missing near Myrtle Beach continues search
- 2 on motorcycle killed in crash with SUV in Fayetteville
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now