GOLDSBORO, N.C. (WNCN) — The Wayne County Health Department is reporting the first COVID-19 associated death in Wayne County.
Health officials say the individual died on April 9 from complications associated with the virus.
The patient was in their early 80s and suffered from underlying medical conditions. To protect the family’s privacy, officials say no further information about this patient will be released.
Interim Health Director Ken Stern said, “Our condolences and prayers are with the family. This is a sad reminder of how COVID-19 can impact those at high risk for severe symptoms. It is important that we all do our part to stop the spread of this virus by staying at home, practicing social distancing if you must go out, and following other CDC guidelines.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Yelp: 60 percent of businesses that closed due to COVID-19 are closed permanently
- Woman hit by car in North Raleigh; road closed
- Michelob Ultra looking to pay ‘chief exploration officer’ $50K to visit national parks
- Fayetteville remaining prepared despite Sally’s heavy remnants skipping over the city
- Ohio football players who carried police, fire flags on-field awarded scholarships
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now