BUCK SWAMP, N.C. (WNCN) — The Wayne County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after a woman was found dead inside a crashed vehicle Wednesday night.
According to authorities, the Wayne County Communications Center received a call about a woman slumped over in a vehicle near the intersection of Pikeville-Princeton Road and Nahunta Road in Buck Swamp.
As deputies were responding, the call was changed to a vehicle crash. Once deputies got to the scene, they found a vehicle in a ditch with a female driver dead inside, officials said.
The North Carolina State Highway Patrol was also called to the scene to investigate.
The woman’s cause of death has not been determined at this time and the case remains under investigation, authorities said.
The name of the victim is being withheld until her next of kin are notified.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Raleigh mom who got COVID-19 vaccine helps her family who were sickened by the coronavirus
- Andrew Yang leads NYC mayoral race Democratic primary field, NewsNation poll finds
- Johnston County fire crews injured after tanker truck crashes while heading to fire call
- Lumberton mom dies after she’s shot while driving with her 2 children in car
- NC students, parents angry after high school cancels prom despite drop in COVID-19 cases