BUCK SWAMP, N.C. (WNCN) — The Wayne County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after a woman was found dead inside a crashed vehicle Wednesday night.
According to authorities, the Wayne County Communications Center received a call about a woman slumped over in a vehicle near the intersection of Pikeville-Princeton Road and Nahunta Road in Buck Swamp.
As deputies were responding, the call was changed to a vehicle crash. Once deputies got to the scene, they found a vehicle in a ditch with a female driver dead inside, officials said.
The North Carolina State Highway Patrol was also called to the scene to investigate.
The woman’s cause of death has not been determined at this time and the case remains under investigation, authorities said.
The name of the victim is being withheld until her next of kin are notified.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Triangle-area police chiefs, chief justice appear on ‘Law & Order’ panel in Durham
- Man hits other man’s backside, walks out on tab next night, Myrtle Beach police say
- Wendell mom dies in Wake County crash on Ten Ten Road, officials say
- Family of woman missing near Myrtle Beach continues search
- 2 on motorcycle killed in crash with SUV in Fayetteville
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now