MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. (WNCN) – A woman was killed Monday night near Mount Olive when her car was run off the road and flipped after another driver tried illegally passing her during a turn, the North Carolina State Highway Patrol said.
The crash happened at 8:40 p.m. on North Carolina Highway 55 at Kelly Springs Road, authorities said.
According to the highway patrol, a woman in a Ford car was turning left from eastbound N.C. 55 onto Kelly Springs Road when a man driving a Chevrolet pickup truck tried to illegally pass her and crashed into the driver’s side of her car.
The impact from the crash sent both vehicles into a nearby field where the woman’s car flipped over. She was pronounced dead at the scene by first responders, authorities said.
Officials said charges are pending against the driver of the pickup but the investigation hasn’t been completed yet.
Authorities have identified the driver of both vehicles but are not releasing their names at this time.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 101-year-old Hawaii man celebrates birthday at his favorite gym
- N.C. reports 7,986 new COVID-19 cases Saturday, deaths surpass 8,000
- ‘If it wasn’t my job I would have done that for free’: Officer after surviving Capitol mob assault
- Mom says she’s been waiting six months for taste, smell to return after COVID. She’s not alone
- Biden to elevate role of science with cabinet picks