WILSON, N.C. (WNCN) – A 21-year-old woman was arrested Tuesday and charged with felony accessory after the fact in connection with the murder of 5-year-old Cannon Hinnant in Wilson.
Darius N. Sessoms, 25, of Wilson was arrested Aug. 10 in Goldsboro – a day after police said he killed Cannon in front of his home on Archers Road in Wilson.
He is charged with first-degree murder.
Family members said the 5-year-old boy was riding his bicycle when he was shot and killed.
Aolani Takemi Marie Pettit appeared before a Wilson County judge Wednesday morning where she elected to have a court-appointed attorney.
Pettit knew Sessoms had committed a felony and helped him flee Wilson on Aug. 9 and 10, court documents say.
She remains in jail under a $250,000 bond.
A GoFundMe for Cannon’s family has raised more than $810,000.
Cannon’s mother, Bonny Waddell, said she would ask the district attorney to seek the death penalty.
“Justice hasn’t been served,” the grieving mother said.
Numerous vigils and memorials have been held to honor Cannon. A motorcycle ride drew hundreds on Aug. 22.
- Former NFL, Alabama quarterback Jay Barker arrested in Nashville
- Rising costs add to pandemic pain for small businesses
- Baking chips sold exclusively at Walmart are recalled
- With a third of all Duke Energy customers in the dark, Moore County hit hardest in central NC
- NC man kills mom, sister and his teen son in Wilmington shooting, police say