WILSON, N.C. (WNCN) – A 21-year-old woman was arrested Tuesday and charged with felony accessory after the fact in connection with the murder of 5-year-old Cannon Hinnant in Wilson.
Darius N. Sessoms, 25, of Wilson was arrested Aug. 10 in Goldsboro – a day after police said he killed Cannon in front of his home on Archers Road in Wilson.
He is charged with first-degree murder.
Family members said the 5-year-old boy was riding his bicycle when he was shot and killed.
Aolani Takemi Marie Pettit appeared before a Wilson County judge Wednesday morning where she elected to have a court-appointed attorney.
Pettit knew Sessoms had committed a felony and helped him flee Wilson on Aug. 9 and 10, court documents say.
She remains in jail under a $250,000 bond.
A GoFundMe for Cannon’s family has raised more than $810,000.
Cannon’s mother, Bonny Waddell, said she would ask the district attorney to seek the death penalty.
“Justice hasn’t been served,” the grieving mother said.
Numerous vigils and memorials have been held to honor Cannon. A motorcycle ride drew hundreds on Aug. 22.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Tropical Storm Zeta strengthens, is expected to regain hurricane status Wednesday
- 3 Wake County high schools confirm COVID-19 case associated with athletics
- Man buys car for stranger after learning of ‘distraught’ single mother’s plight
- Idaho men charged with conspiring to sell hard-to-trace guns in North Carolina
- Lara Trump and ‘Diamond and Silk’ to appear in Johnston County Wednesday
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now