SALUDA, N.C. (WSPA) – Polk County Emergency Management officials said a man died after falling from the top of Big Bradley Falls Saturday morning.
According to Polk County Emergency Management Director and Fire Marshal Bobby Arledge, they received a call about a man falling from the falls, located off of Holbert Cove Road in Saluda at around 10:35 a.m.
Arledge said at least 50 personnel responded to the scene from Polk and Henderson counties.
Crews had to rappel down to where the victim was in the water.
Arledge said the victim fell anywhere from 50 to 75 feet.
The NC HART team also responded to the area with their helicopter, which was used to airlift the victim from the waterfall to an ambulance. The rescue effort took at least five hours.
The victim, identified as Aaron Post, 28, of Charleston, South Carolina, died at an area hospital on Saturday.
“Polk County EMS can confirm the male victim that fell at “Big” Bradley Falls passed away during his rescue. He was taken to St. Luke’s hospital in which his resuscitation effort was continued until he was pronounced dead,” Polk County Emergency Medical Services Director Michael Crater said.
- In being opening game for 3 straight opponents, Blue Devils will set odd record at Virginia
- Large NC outdoor venues to reopen, financial relief coming for small businesses
- Some Halloween activities could increase COVID-19 risk, CDC warns
- Child involved in Durham shooting, police say
- Durham school building closing after ‘probable’ COVID-19 case involving worker
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now