CARY, N.C. (WNCN) — Officials Monday identified a man who died in a crash over the weekend on the Triangle Expressway toll road.
The wreck, which also left a person critically injured, was reported around 4:25 p.m. Sunday in the northbound lanes of the Triangle Expressway/N.C. 540 near Exit 62 which is Green Level West Road.
The North Carolina State Highway Patrol said Monday that Terry Allan North, 54, of Sanford died.
The wreck happened when two people were hit by an SUV while outside their pickup truck on N.C. 540, officials said.
The wreck happened after a pickup truck towing a small trailer had the trailer come loose. The driver of the pickup stopped and two people got out of pickup truck in the middle travel lane to try to reattach the trailer, officials said.
The two people were then hit by a black Jeep SUV and suffered life-threatening injuries, troopers said. They were rushed to Duke Hospital for treatment, but one later died.
A third person who stayed inside the pickup truck suffered cuts in the crash.
Both northbound lanes were blocked for about two hours.
- Senators press colleges on coronavirus safety plans to reopen campuses
- Raleigh blogger creates viral social media template to demand brands amplify black voices
- Lawmaker: US has had worst response to COVID-19 pandemic worldwide
- VIDEO: Cyclist assaults teens over protest flyers along Maryland trail
- J.C. Penney closing 154 stores in first post-bankruptcy phase; 5 NC locations to close
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now