SCHENECTADY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – A man who admitted to raping and impregnating an 11-year-old girl will spend the next 24 years behind bars.
Robert Cronin showed no emotion in the courtroom this morning, even as the victim gave a powerful and emotional statement.
Back in August, he pleaded guilty to perjury and raping a child under the age of 13, a child he had gotten pregnant.
Assistant District Attorney Michael Nobles says Cronin doesn’t think he did anything wrong and adds that Cronin is unhappy with how long his sentence is.
“An 11-year-old girl gave birth to a child because of his selfishness and he’s mad he can’t go to malls.”
A trial was not held in order to save the victim from having to state what happened to her repeatedly.
“I hope that the record is abundantly clear that everyone believes you should be incarcerated permanently,” the judge told Cronin.
Cronin this morning receiving a sentence of 24 years of incarceration followed by 20 years post-release supervision.
“There is an order of protection for the victim for 52 years.”
Cronin was also sentenced to 1-3 years for perjury which will be served concurrently.
- Fayetteville, AR police identify officer killed, suspect
- Multiple people hospitalized and two deaths after a violent night in Raleigh
- Police officer executed in shooting in Fayetteville, Arkansas, chief says
- Early Christmas event held for pediatric cancer patients at North Hills in Raleigh
- Police in Morrisville warn of ‘porch pirates’ as deliveries spike ahead of Christmas
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now