PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — The World Cup champion can add yet another accolade to the evergrowing list: being named Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year.
“It’s kind of crazy,” she said when asked to describe what this award means to her. She is only the fourth woman to receive the honor as an indivdual.
The United States Women’s National Team co-captain is capping off a year for the books. Rapinoe evolved into a poster-woman for not only women’s soccer, but a voice for equal rights as she fought to bring equal pay to the sport.
“I’m more than an athlete, I’m more than just Megan Rapinoe the Soccer player,” she told Sports Illustrated.
The pink-haired midfielder led the USWNT through the 2019 World Cup with her skills and dominant drive, winning the Golden Boot for being the top scorer in the tournament along with winning the Golden Ball as the World Cup MVP.
KOIN 6 News will update this story.
- Wake Forest holds virtual July 4th fireworks show amid pandemic
- Eastbound lanes of US 64 closed in Wake County due to wreck, troopers say
- At Rushmore, Trump to say protesters seek to ‘defame’ heroes
- Violence mars Portland protests, frustrates Black community
- Boy killed, girl injured among 4 victims in Alabama mall shooting
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now