TAMPA (WFLA/CNN) — As refreshing as water is, it may not be the most hydrating drink choice.
In fact, water may not even crack the top five of the most hydrating drinks out there.
According to a study from Scotland’s St. Andrew’s University, milk, Pedialyte and soda top the list of most hydrating beverages.
Researchers tested the hydration responses of 13 beverages and found that drinks with low amounts of sugar, fat or protein do a better job at keeping the body hydrated for a longer period of time.
The study’s author, Professor Ronald Maughan, said one reason has to do with how our bodies respond to certain beverages.
The top five beverages to keep you hydrated for at least a four hour period are:
- Skim milk
- Oral rehydration solutions (Pedialyte)
- Full fat milk
- Orange juice
Water and sparkling water ranked 10th and 11th.
- Durham police chief vows to protect after car almost hits protesters
- Raleigh teen launches ‘Flowers for Floyd’ to spread positivity
- NCGOP delegate says she’s disappointed by decision to move RNC out of Charlotte
- Group of NC bars sue Gov. Cooper in effort to reopen
- We’re getting out more during Phase 2, but where are we going? Cellphone data can tell us
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now