JOPLIN, Mo. (AP) – A Joplin man accused of severely neglecting his mother will serve two years of unsupervised probation.
Fifty-two-year-old Michael Lightner was sentenced Monday after pleading guilty to misdemeanor elder abuse.
The Joplin Globe reports prosecutors say Lightner’s mother was found March 7 lying naked in bed covered with waste and suffering from bedsores. She was mentally confused and unable to care for herself, and medical staff estimated it may have been a year since her last bath or shower.
Under the plea deal, a one-year jail sentence was suspended and Lightner was placed on two years of unsupervised probation.
- Police investigating after body found in Durham neighborhood
- NC attorney general calls for federal ban of menthol cigarettes
- How long could it take to vaccinate every adult in North Carolina from COVID-19?
- Care Hub helps Duke Hospitals with emergency room logistics
- NC Education Lottery sees strong sales amid COVID-19 pandemic