GOLDSBORO, N.C. (WNCN) — A Wayne County man is facing sex charges after deputies said Friday he was involved in a sexual assault with a 6-year-old girl.
The investigation first began on August 14 after deputies learned of a possible sexual assault involving the suspect and a young girl, according to a news release from the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office.
The office’s Special Victims Unit investigated the allegations.
Benito Miranda Yanez Jr., 27, of Mount Olive was charged Friday with first-degree statutory sex offense and indecent liberties with a child, the news release said.
The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation assisted in the case.
Yanez is being held in the Wayne County jail on a $520,000 secured bond.
- South Johnston High School football player, two others injured in Benson shooting
- I-95 in Robeson County reopens after wreck involving 20 vehicles
- 2 killed, 8 others shot, in ‘violent incident of huge magnitude’ at SC night club
- Jerry Weakens Slightly, With Our Eyes on a Couple Other Waves
- Wake Correctional Center inmate missing from work assignment in Garner
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now