APEX, N.C. (WNCN) - Firefighters from four fire departments brought a house fire near Apex under control on Wednesday, but not before it set off ammunition stored in the home, according to Wake County officials.
The call to respond to the 4500 block of Johnson Pond Road came just before 9:30 p.m.
Several EMS crews were also dispatched to the scene.
A man at the scene said he and his parents were asleep in the home when smoke detectors went off. Fire officials said a total of four people got out of the house. The man who escaped said one dog did not survive. Two others escaped the fire, officials said.
Fire officials also reported an explosion, which Chief Barry Spain of the Fairview Rural Fire Department, said was caused by ammunition stored in the home. He said the ammunition might have been stored in a gun safe, but he wasn't sure.
The cause of the fire was not immediately clear.
Spain credited smoke detectors with saving the family.
"The smoke detectors were what got the people out of the house," he said.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- MEXICAN CITIZEN CHARGED WITH PROVIDING ALCOHOL TO 3 TEENS KILLED IN RALEIGH HEAD-ON CRASH
- MOTHER'S BOYFRIEND CHARGED WITH MURDER IN DEATH OF MARIAH WOODS
- MEALS ON WHEELS VOLUNTEER 'FIRED' FOR REFUSING TO DROP OFF MEALS AT UPSCALE CONDOS SAY
- NC MAN CHARGED IN PUPPY'S BEATING DEATH MAKES COURT APPEARANCE
- TOYS R US TO CLOSE 3 NC LOCATIONS; 180 NATIONWIDE
- Family heartbroken after Sampson County woman dies from 32 stab or slash wounds
- Wake County deputy was going 75 mph in 45 mph zone in wreck last week, report says
- Wake County school leaders hear from parents about reassignment plans
- Caught on video: Hillsborough police try to rescue injured squirrel