MILWAUKEE (WITI/CNN) – A 12-year-old girl and 13-year-old boy in Milwaukee are recovering from gunshot wounds as police request assistance in identifying the driver who shot them.
Authorities say a group of children decided to throw snowballs at passing vehicles Saturday night, but the driver of a white Toyota responded with violence, firing shots into the group after their vehicle was struck.
“It was like ‘boom, boom, boom, boom’ all in succession,” said Pearlee Piggue, who heard the shooting.
Officers responded to the area, where they found a 12-year-old girl and 13-year-old boy suffering from non-life-threatening gunshot wounds. They immediately applied first aid to the victims. Both are now being treated at a hospital and are expected to be OK.
Neighbors are outraged at the motive behind the violence, and many are calling for the driver responsible to come forward.
“Do you really need to shoot somebody because they shot a snowball?” Piggue said. “He should turn himself in.”
Some residents say they are ready to move out, with one claiming her house has been caught in the crossfire before.
“It scared the mess out of me, you know? Any time I hear shots that close, I just freak out,” she said.
The homeowner says she would like to see an increase in neighborhood patrols, while other residents say they want visible cameras in the streets.
“I feel like my children should be able to go outside and play,” the homeowner said.
Police are asking anyone who might have information about the shooting to come forward.
Copyright 2020 WITI, Tribune via CNN. All rights reserved.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Utah lawmakers want newspaper to apologize for ‘horrific’ cartoon of Black congressman
- Durham man arrested on birthday, charged in shooting near downtown Raleigh, police say
- Officer dislocates shoulder of woman with dementia after she ‘forgets’ to pay $14 for groceries: lawsuit
- Activate this ‘hidden’ Facebook feature to protect your account from hackers
- Florida couple accused of starving, locking up 3 teens; 1 teen weighed 50 pounds