LAWRENCE, KS (CNN) – On Sunday night, Kristina Turner says her grandfather told her the news.
Her 2-year-old Devonte passed away after Kristina’s grandmother forgot to remove him from the back seat of her car after church.
“It is going to hurt for the rest of my life… he needs to be remembered as just a beautiful soul… like he was amazing.”
The National Weather Service reported Sunday afternoon that temperatures reached 88 degrees in Lawrence.
Police are now calling the case a death investigation.
Kristina says she’s committed to keeping her son’s memory alive, and spreading awareness about the dangers guardians face.
“Most of them can’t fight for themselves… they can’t get out of a car they can’t unstrap themselves from a car seat. I don’t want to see this happen to anybody else’s kids.”
- Doctors find brown recluse spider in woman’s ear
- Friends, supporters to celebrate NC man freed after being wrongfully convicted
- ALERT DAY: Severe thunderstorms likely
- NC couple wins $1 million in lottery while celebrating wedding anniversary
- Raleigh man nabbed, another on the run after armed robbery, deputies say
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now