EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. (KTVI) – Police are investigating after a 4-year-old accidentally shot and injured his 8-year-old brother in Illinois on Sunday.
Investigators say the two children were playing with a loaded handgun when it accidentally discharged at an East St. Louis home around 10:30 p.m.
The 8-year-old boy is hospitalized in stable condition.
According to police sources, the children were apparently shooting a video.
It’s unclear how the children obtained the weapon, which reportedly belongs to a family member. An adult was inside the home at the time of the shooting.
Police said it’s unclear whether the parents will face charges. The investigation is ongoing.
Police urged parents to keep weapons out of the reach of children and to always have a safety lock.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NC prison to serve as vaccine hub for inmates; officials working on vaccination plan
- Pawleys Island grandmother seeks justice after man’s murder
- Downtown Raleigh businesses brace for possible protests after pandemic and summer protests
- Sampson County church to host concert as NC continues to grapple with COVID-19 pandemic
- DC police seek man suspected of crushing officer in doorway