MONROE COUNTY, Ind. (WXIN) – Police say a 4-year-old Indiana boy died Thursday after an apparent accidental shooting earlier this week.
The incident occurred on Jan. 19 in the 1200 block of East Zinnia Drive in Bloomington. A preliminary investigation by detectives found that a 36-year-old man with a concealed handgun on the small of his back was play-wrestling on a bed with his 4-year-old son.
While the two were playing, the gun fell and a shot was fired, striking both the father and the 4-year-old in the head, according to police.
The child was critically injured and taken to IU Health Bloomington Hospital before being flown to Riley Children’s Hospital in Indianapolis. He was identified as Tripp Shaw.
The father was expected to recover from his injuries, police said.
The case remains under investigation and no charges have been filed.
Video below is from a previous story:
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- What community spread means among other common coronavirus-related terms
- Many worry rhetoric surrounding Reopen NC protests have gotten out of hand
- Nearly 15,000 in North Carolina have recovered from COVID-19
- Biden makes 1st in-person appearance in more than 2 months
- Lee County to offer COVID-19 tests on Wednesday, Thursday
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now