HOUSTON (CBS NEWS) — Two toddlers and at least one adult were burned after someone fired shots into their vehicle during a road rage incident, causing fireworks inside to ignite, CBS Houston affiliate KHOU-TV reports.
Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez tweeted that the toddlers sustained major burns and had to be airlifted to a hospital. They were in critical condition.
According to Harris, the car that was hit had a family of four in it – a 1-year-old and 1-to-3 year-old and their parents.
Harris said the car drove off briefly, but then was engulfed in flames.
Some good Samaritans took the family to a community emergency clinic, Harris said.
The toddlers’ father was also burned, Harris added. The Harris County Fire Marshall’s Office said the mother was burned, as well.
Gonzalez said the gunman fled the scene in a car that also had kids and a female inside. Authorities were searching for it.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Teenager accused of auto theft jumps off 20-foot parking garage to escape police
- Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. placed on leave after posting bizarre picture
- Up to 8 gunshots fired in shooting that killed 5-year-old girl, police say
- 5 detention officers with NC jail test positive for coronavirus
- VIDEO: Authorities seek man who set fire to SC police car
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now