OREM, Utah (AP) — Authorities say a 6-year-old girl has died after her father accidentally struck her with a golf ball.
Lt. Trent Colledge with the Orem Police Department says the girl and her father had been golfing at Sleepy Ridge Golf Course in Orem Monday when her father hit a ball and struck the girl in the back of her head.
The girl was about 20 yards away when she was hit around 10:25 a.m. Monday, WTVX reported.
The ball collided with the base of her neck. She was transported to a hospital in Salt Lake City via helicopter in critical condition where she died from her injuries later that evening.
Colledge said police are investigating the incident but are not planning to press charges as it appears to have been a tragic accident.
Police have not released the names of the girl or her father.
- Endangered Florida panthers are mysteriously struggling to walk, and wildlife officials don’t know why
- Tennessee police: Dad beat young daughter because of dirty table
- Instagram says there’s “no truth” to new hoax post, so don’t share it
- Is Gov. Cooper on board with tax refund plan?
- Dog stolen from Texas family during road trip rescued by CBS reporter
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now