ROSEMONT, MN (WCCO/CNN) - Two women are dead after an 800-pound boulder fell out of a dump truck driving down a road on Monday.
Police said the driver of that truck, Joe Czeck, didn't stop and is in jail.
Karen Christiansen, 67, and her 32-year-old daughter Jena were headed north on the road.
The truck went over a railroad crossing, and the boulder came off, tumbled and struck the family's car.
It took four fireman just to roll the boulder, the same rock that police said came flying off Czeck's dump truck on Monday.
"It's evident to us that it was not secured in the back of the vehicle," said Rosemont Police Chief Mitchell Scott
The women died at the scene.
"You know, it's very traumatic for the families and the officers as well," Scott said. "We don't see this type of accident every day."
Investigators figured out the truck belonged to Czeck Services, which led them to the driver.
Czeck is being held at the Dakota County Jail. Charges are still pending.
Scott said the tragedy is a reminder of the law.
"You're required by law to have whatever you are hauling secured in your vehicle," he said. "So if you have a pickup truck and you have a lawn mower or an ATV UTV inside, you are responsible to make sure it's secure."
Even if an accident doesn't occur, drivers can still be pulled over and given a ticket for unsecured loads.
"Things happen out of our control all the time, so take the extra time to make sure things are secure," Scott said.
Copyright 2018 WCCO via CNN. All right reserved.
- Family speaks out after man released from jail following encounter with Raleigh police
- Raleigh police respond to shooting on Woodpecker Court
- Man, woman hospitalized with life-threatening injuries after shooting at Raleigh motel
- UNC historian calls Confederate monument movement 'a turning point in history'
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 3-judge panel blocks 2 amendments from NC ballot
- NC man wanted in assault of pregnant Waffle House waitress arrested in California
- ECU bus hits, injures bicyclist
- NC Zoo announces name of 2nd southern white rhino born in July