DANIA BEACH, Fla. (AP/CBS Newspath) — Officials say an armed man was fatally shot during a confrontation with South Florida deputies.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office says the shooting occurred Monday morning along a Dania Beach road after a traffic stop. Officials say deputies attempted to stop a silver Lexus for a possible stolen tag, and the driver hopped out and ran away.
Authorities say deputies were chasing the man on foot when the shooting occurred tin the 160 block of Southwest 19th Court.
In video from the scene, a gun could be seen on the pavement of a parking lot just a few feet from where the man’s body was under a tarp.
Deputies began CPR, and rescue workers pronounced the man dead at the scene. Officials say a gun was recovered near the body.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- SC school districts are reporting nearly 700 educators have already left their jobs this school year
- Sledding accident causes teen’s death; dad dies at hospital
- Earlier start to hurricane season? NOAA debates starting future Atlantic seasons in May
- Full Snow Moon is this weekend, and you can see 3 planets at sunrise
- Rescue dog that nobody wanted saves life of new owner