TAMPA (WFLA) – The “Back the Blue” mural painted in front of the police department in Downtown Tampa was defaced with red paint.
The mural was painted over the weekend on Madison Street by a group called Back the Blue Florida.
The blue, white and black display reads “Back the Blue” and features a black and blue ribbon. “Back the Blue” is a message in support of law enforcement. The phrase has been used frequently in response to recent calls to defund the police and to the “Black Lives Matter” movement in the United States.
The group that painted the mural did not have a permit to do so, a city spokesperson told WFLA.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Pandemic makes teacher shortages even worse
- Dave Chappelle cancels shows after testing positive for COVID-19
- 3+ years later, pastor to leave Durham sanctuary after Biden pauses most deportations
- Colonial Pipeline site assessment reveals an estimated 1.2M gallons of gasoline leaked in NC town
- Japan stands firm on Tokyo Olympics schedule, denies report of cancellation