WASHINGTON (WNCN) – Bernie Madoff is asking President Donald Trump to commute his sentence.
The Department of Justice website shows Madoff has filed a clemency petition that’s still pending.
There’s no word from the White House as to whether the president may grant his request.
Madoff, now 81, was arrested in 2008 and later convicted in relation to being the mastermind behind a massive Ponzi scheme.
Madoff swindled billions of dollars from his investors.
Madoff is now serving a 150-year sentence for money laundering, perjury, and other crimes.
He is incarcerated at the Federal Correctional Complex in Butner.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 57-year-old man drowns at Emerald Isle
- Ex-cop Chauvin to get federal sentence for Floyd’s killing
- US jobless claims rise to 235k, most in nearly six months
- Missing man’s remains found in machine at South Carolina plant
- These 4 sheets of paper hold the ACC together: Inside the league’s grant-of-rights