WASHINGTON (WNCN) – Bernie Madoff is asking President Donald Trump to commute his sentence.
The Department of Justice website shows Madoff has filed a clemency petition that’s still pending.
There’s no word from the White House as to whether the president may grant his request.
Madoff, now 81, was arrested in 2008 and later convicted in relation to being the mastermind behind a massive Ponzi scheme.
Madoff swindled billions of dollars from his investors.
Madoff is now serving a 150-year sentence for money laundering, perjury, and other crimes.
He is incarcerated at the Federal Correctional Complex in Butner.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Crying on the job? You’re not alone, with 8 in 10 workers shedding tears
- VIDEO: Close call for kayakers as a giant glacier collapse near them
- “It’s doing something good”: 2 women brighten lives of seniors with memory loss
- Police: 9-year-old shot, killed in Durham; 8-year-old wounded
- Florida man who allegedly said he wants to set record and kill 100 people in mass shooting is arrested