BALTIMORE (AP) — Baltimore police say a 4-year-old boy suffered severe, untreated burns before he was found dead in a trash bin.
News outlets report charging documents released Monday detail the gruesome end to the life of Malachi Lawson, whose disappearance prompted an intense search.
The documents say his mother, Alicia Lawson, and her wife, Shatika Lawson, told police Malachai was scalded by bath water so hot that his skin was floating around him. Police said they feared getting punished, so they tried to treat the burns themselves. They said Alicia Lawson found her son unresponsive nine days later, wrapped him in a blanket and caught a Lyft to the trash bin.
Both women face charges including involuntary manslaughter, child abuse and false statements. Shatika Lawson’s lawyer said she had no malicious intent.
- 22-year-old charged with girlfriend’s murder in West Knoxville shooting
- 1 dead in motorcycle crash along S. Saunders St. near I-40 in Raleigh, police say
- Vendors grateful for opportunity presented by NC State Fair food event
- Triangle law enforcement issuing very few citations as COVID-19 cases continue to increase
- Pregnant ESPN reporter fires back after ‘troll’ tries to body-shame her
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now