BALTIMORE (AP) — Baltimore police say a 4-year-old boy suffered severe, untreated burns before he was found dead in a trash bin.
News outlets report charging documents released Monday detail the gruesome end to the life of Malachi Lawson, whose disappearance prompted an intense search.
The documents say his mother, Alicia Lawson, and her wife, Shatika Lawson, told police Malachai was scalded by bath water so hot that his skin was floating around him. Police said they feared getting punished, so they tried to treat the burns themselves. They said Alicia Lawson found her son unresponsive nine days later, wrapped him in a blanket and caught a Lyft to the trash bin.
Both women face charges including involuntary manslaughter, child abuse and false statements. Shatika Lawson’s lawyer said she had no malicious intent.
- Durham girl dies from complications of COVID-19
- Peaceful rally in Durham ends abruptly after car almost runs over protesters laying in street
- ‘We hear them’: Raleigh police chief stops by protest
- ‘Spirit of love’: Volunteers help clean up downtown Fayetteville
- NC police officers destroy medical station near protest
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now