MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The family of a 5-year-old boy thrown off a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America earlier this month says he remains in intensive care but that the public’s “prayers are working.”
A short statement Tuesday said the boy remains under sedation. The family, which has asked for privacy, says the child “has an important week ahead with more milestones to accomplish.”
Mac Hammond, a pastor at a church attended by the child’s grandparents, said during his Easter service that there was no evidence the boy had a brain injury.
R. Stephen Tillitt, an attorney for the boy’s family, says he could not confirm or deny Hammond’s description because it would invade the family’s privacy.
Emmanuel Aranda, 24, of Minneapolis, is charged with attempted premeditated first-degree murder in the attack.
The boy fell 40 feet and suffered broken bones and head trauma.
Aranda was convicted twice in 2015 related to assaults at the mall.
In one, he threw a glass of water and glass of tea at a woman who refused to buy him something.