(CNN) — Dick’s Sporting Goods will stop selling guns at 440 additional stores this year, escalating the company’s methodical elimination of firearms from its stores.
The move follows a series of decisions at Dick’s to scale back gun sales. A few days after the Parkland, Florida, school shooting in February 2018, the company announced it would stop selling semi-automatic weapons like the one used in the event.
A few months later, Dick’s pulled firearms and hunting accessories from 10 stores as a test. That went well: Overall sales increased at those stores.
The company then pulled guns and ammunition from 125 additional stores in March 2019.
Now Dick’s plans to nearly quadruple the number of stores without guns, the company announced during its fourth-quarter earnings report Tuesday.
- Wednesday, October 28th : National Chocolate Day, Mental Wellness Wednesday
- USPS on-time delivery is getting worse, putting ballots at risk
- Raleigh police investigate afternoon shooting
- Program to help North Carolinians find unclaimed money paying off for local non-profit
- South Carolina deputy saves unconscious infant diagnosed with COVID-19
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now