Former firefighter previously charged with rape faces new charges

National News

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – A former firefighter finds himself in trouble again just months after his charges in a rape case were dropped. Police say DNA links Celso Montano to the abduction and rape of an Albuquerque woman back in 2009.

However, prosecutors dismissed the case because the victim died the week before Montano was charged back in October. Montano was arrested again over the weekend.

According to a criminal complaint, a woman says she met Montano on the website Plenty of Fish and went over to his apartment on Sunday near Copper and Tramway. She claims Montano handcuffed both of her hands and attempted to pull her pants down.

The woman also says Montano strangled her for 30 to 40 seconds. She eventually got away and called police, leading to Montano’s arrest for charges including attempt to commit a second-degree felony and false imprisonment.

Back in 2012, Montano was accused of raping four women but pleaded to lesser charges in those cases.

Related Coverage:

For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.

Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Sponsored Content
Visit Buy Local

Trending Stories