ATLANTA (AP) — The largest female whale shark at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta has died.
The aquarium says Trixie died Friday after her health rapidly declined. She had been at the aquarium since 2006.
Whale sharks are the largest fish in the world. They are considered endangered and live in tropical waters across the globe.
According to the Georgia Aquarium website, their average length is roughly between 18 and 32 feet.
Trixie and another female whale shark arrived at the aquarium in 2006 after they were flown more than 8,000 miles from Taipei, Taiwan, on a specially configured freighter.
The aquarium currently has three other whale sharks.
- New Jersey causes stir by making smokers eligible for COVID-19 vaccine
- Fake drugs? Substance found in car from police auction was initially believed to be $300K in heroin
- Capitol riot arrests: What we know about these notable suspects
- Real estate agent who took private jet to D.C. is charged in Capitol riot; has self-help book canceled
- Cabarrus County school board member says she’s being harassed over decision to reopen schools