(CBS News/WNCN) – Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna will be remembered at a memorial at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Monday at 10 a.m. PT (or 1 p.m. ET). Bryant, 41, and Gianna, 13, were among nine people killed in a helicopter crash near Los Angeles on January 26.
There were 20,000 tickets available for purchase. More than 100,000 people tried to get tickets, according to CBS Los Angeles. Streets and businesses around the arena will be closed.
How to watch
- Date: Monday, February 24
- Where: Staples Center, Los Angeles
- Time: 10 a.m. PT. Doors to Staples Center will open at 8 a.m. PT, and everyone with tickets is asked to be in their seats by 9:45 a.m. PT.
- Where to watch: The memorial will be live-streamed on CBS 17’s Facebook page and in the video player above, or watch on fuboTV (get a free trial).
Vanessa Bryant announced the plans for memorial on Instagram earlier this month. In the Instagram post, she revealed that the memorial service will take place at 10 a.m. at the Staples Center in Los Angeles later this month. She also pointed out the significance of the date chosen, February 24, 2020 — or 2/24/20.
“#2, #24, #20 years as a Laker and the amount of years Kob and I were together, ” she wrote in the post.
Gianna, who hoped to play for the WNBA someday, wore a number 2 jersey, and NBA great Kobe Bryant wore number 24. The Los Angeles Lakers star played his entire 20-season professional career with the purple-and-gold team.
A private funeral was held at Pacific View Memorial Park in Corona Del Mar on February 7, according to Entertainment Tonight.
- NC teen dies after becoming impaled on rifle in hunting stand accident
- Nearly 10 percent of NC hospitals anticipate ‘critical’ staffing shortage within a week
- 13,000 with late Raleigh water bills could see service cut off in weeks after order expires
- 2 new clinical trials underway in Wilmington for COVID-19 vaccines
- ‘Be a Santa to a Senior’ hopes to warm hearts of isolated NC elderly during pandemic