VERMILION COUNTY, Ill. (WCIA) — Authorities are investigating after a woman was shot by a 4-year-old child over the weekend.
Marita Hile, 64, of Westville, Illinois, was shot around 12:30 p.m. Sunday while driving near a gas station in Tilton, Illinois, said investigators with the Vermilion County Sheriff’s Department.
Officers said Hile and the child, a relative of the woman, were traveling in the car when the child found a gun. The child accidentally fired the gun into the driver seat and hit Hile, according to the Champaign County coroner.
Hile crashed the car into a sign at the gas station. She was taken to an Urbana, Illinois, hospital, where officers said she died from the gunshot wound.
The incident is under investigation.
- Tropical Depression 11 forms in Atlantic, expected to become Tropical Storm Josephine
- Rare ‘boomerang’ earthquake detected under the Atlantic Ocean for the first time
- Colorado Park Rangers: Please don’t feed pizza to moose
- Ohio UPS store owner personally drives package to Florida to ensure on-time delivery
- Triangle-area roads littered with trash after pandemic cancels NCDOT’s usual litter sweeps
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now