(WNCN) — Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter are celebrating their 74th wedding anniversary, tacking on their record of being the longest-married presidential couple.
The couple was married on July 7, 1946 in Plains, Georgia, when Jimmy was 21 and Rosalynn was 18.
The former president is now 95 years old and the oldest-living president in U.S. history.
The Jimmy Carter Library says in a tweet that “on his 75th birthday in 2001, President Carter was asked to name the most important thing he had ever done. Without hesitation, he replied, “Marrying Rosalynn.”
- History-making woman kicker invited to Biden inauguration
- Rhode Island doctor accused of ‘recklessly’ exposing patients, staff to COVID-19
- Brady vs Rodgers, possibly Mahomes vs. Allen in title games
- Amtrak halting Virginia routes ahead of Inauguration Day
- Brady, Bucs, end playoffs for Saints, Brees, 30-20