Kids in Missouri get sick after eating edibles, police say

National News

KANSAS CITY, Missouri – (CBS NEWSPATH) – Crystal Carney is one of hundreds of parents in the Hickman Mills district that will be getting a letter sent home with their child today, warning them about an incident that happened back on March 28.

It’s been nearly two weeks since it happened, but a letter was just sent home to parents today warning them about something that’s not only happened at Hickman Mills but over at Ruskin High as well.

Kansas City police say a student brought cannabis-infused brownies to school and shared them with a couple of friends. 
One of  the students got very sick.

The student that brought the brownies was suspended for several days, but that wasn’t the only incident.

A Ruskin High School student was rushed to the hospital after getting sick from eating one as well.

There’s no word on whether the same student is responsible for making the same edibles.

However, one thing is certain, this is a growing problem across the country.

In fact, A quick search turns up several alarming cases of kids getting sick from eating cannabis-infused products.

KCTV 5 found three case in the month of February alone.

In Ohio, the mother of a 9-year-old boy was arrested after he shared marijuana laced gummy bears with more than a dozen kids at school, ranging in age from 5 to 9 in Georgia, a middle school student shared THC-laced valentine treats at school, causing 28 students to be hospitalized.

Finally, in Oregon, two students were disciplined after supplying edibles to multiple classmates.

According to doctors at healthychild.org, a single pot cookie can contain several times the recommended adult dose of THC, which is scary thought when you think about kids eating them.
Parents who talked to KCTV 5 agree, it’s a conversation we need to be having.

“Naturally as a parent it’s a concern…definitely, ” said parent Latoya Copeland.

In this case, many of the parents say they understand things like this can happen, but they wish they’d been told sooner.

“It should have gone out before as soon as it happened parent should’ve been notified,” said a parent named Crystal.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

More Local News
More National News
More Weather
More Sports
More Check This Out

Don't Miss