TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — Police say an Ohio man shooting off fireworks in his yard has died after a mortar exploded in his chest.
Witnesses told media outlets in Toledo that several children witnessed the accident Tuesday.
Authorities say 61-year-old Floyd Temple died at the scene.
They say he had been putting on a fireworks display for the neighborhood and that one of the mortars tipped over and hit him in the chest.
Toledo police say they had been called to the neighborhood about someone shooting off fireworks, but firefighters already were there and had pronounced Temple dead when they arrived.
It’s illegal to set off fireworks in Ohio.
- Apex dad finds 3 teens passed out in running car – his message after the discovery
- Fatal accident shuts down parts of US Highway 401
- Grandmother of NY 3-year-old found on porch worries parents are dead after burned car discovered
- Discount N.C. State Fair tickets for sale at Food Lion
- KFC testing doughnut and fried chicken sandwich
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now