TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — Police say an Ohio man shooting off fireworks in his yard has died after a mortar exploded in his chest.
Witnesses told media outlets in Toledo that several children witnessed the accident Tuesday.
Authorities say 61-year-old Floyd Temple died at the scene.
They say he had been putting on a fireworks display for the neighborhood and that one of the mortars tipped over and hit him in the chest.
Toledo police say they had been called to the neighborhood about someone shooting off fireworks, but firefighters already were there and had pronounced Temple dead when they arrived.
It’s illegal to set off fireworks in Ohio.
- Lawmaker: US has had worst response to COVID-19 pandemic worldwide
- VIDEO: Cyclist assaults teens over protest flyers along Maryland trail
- J.C. Penney closing 154 stores in first post-bankruptcy phase; 5 NC locations to close
- Smuggled migrants face added layers of danger in tractor-trailers
- Protesters take to the streets of Raleigh for 6th night
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now