TROTWOOD, Ohio (WDTN) — A woman was discovered dead in a walk-in refrigerator at an Ohio assisted living facility after she went missing early Tuesday morning.
When Maria Joseph Nursing and Rehabilitation Center staff couldn’t find 86-year-old Sofiya Perel around 1:40 a.m., they contacted police and searched the building. She was assigned to the fourth floor but somehow managed to bypass the safety features of her locked door.
Officers and staff eventually found her in a walk-in refrigerator on the second floor of the building around 4 a.m.
The Montgomery County Coroner has not determined the cause or manner of her death.
Maria Joseph Nursing and Rehabilitation Center did not immediately reply to requests for comment Wednesday.
Trotwood Police were still investigating Wednesday evening.
- Orange County school leaders to meet again after 2 hours of debating in-person learning plans
- NC to allow indoor visits at nursing homes as progress made against COVID-19
- 2 Cumberland County schools to close for cleaning after staffers test positive for COVID-19
- Does smoke exposure increase firefighters’ susceptibility to COVID-19? It’s possible, UNC researcher says
- Man wounded in Durham shooting along East Main Street, police say
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now