TACOMA, Wash. (AP/WNCN) – A Washington woman and her teenage daughter are suspected of drugging a new mother after posing as photographers in an elaborate plot to kidnap the mother’s newborn baby.
Detectives for the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department arrested a 38-year-old woman and her 16-year-old daughter who they say both went to the mother’s home after advertising free baby photos.
Police say they gave a cupcake to the victim, who felt drowsy after eating it and ordered the two to leave.
Investigators say evidence suggests the woman was planning to steal a newborn baby to raise as her own.
KCPQ-TV spoke to one mom in Olympia who says the suspects took pictures of her infant twins.
“I was shocked, honestly. Because she didn’t come across to me like someone who could do something like that,” said Jessica Hay.
Investigators with the Pierce County Sheriff’s Office have named the one suspect in hopes other victims may come forward.
KCPQ-TV contributed to this report
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Divers recover body of teen who drowned at Falls Lake
- Chatham County woman wanted mother in nursing home tested, told no
- Woman accused of licking $1,800 worth of items at California grocery store arrested on felony charge
- Nearly half of Moore County nursing home residents tests positive for COVID-19
- NC State signee, Cardinal Gibbons quarterback Andrew Harvey reflects on his first love: Golf
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now